Saturday, June 9, 2012

I've Begun Building

Today I've started the process of building my first guitar, at first it was going slow, because I broke the handle on the gate for the band saw, (which was by accident).

Here is the beginning of the neck. remember the piece of mahogany I had, I cut it in half with the band saw, and is what I started with, it's about 43" inches long. Then I cut off smaller blocks to build up the ends (for the head stock and the heel). Then I glued it all together, as you can see I went a little heavy on the glue. I know it's hard to see what I did with all the clamps in the way (a better picture coming soon), I would have taken a picture before I clamped it all together, but I had to do it before the glue started to set (it's fast drying glue). I'm letting it sit over night and we'll see what it looks like tomorrow, I mean today, I don't know what I mean, it's been a long day.  ; P









There is the sound board, does it look nice? It already has the pattern on it. Yes! (with a fist pump).

What I had to do is, I had to joint it the edge that is going to be glued. So I ran both boards though the jointer a few times to make a nice straight and square edge on both boards, so I held the boards together to see if they had a nice joint (no picture, because the of lack a third hand). Then I made the clamping system (if you want to call it that), it's a row of nails on both sides, nailed to a board a bit smaller then the two sound board together. As you can see I laid a board on top then another to clamp it, to make sure it would't get stuck, I laid two plastic bags on both sides so it wouldn't stick to the other boards. That as well is sitting over night




More to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment